top of page
More than a museum...
Since 2016, the Gate House has been known locally for its yearly Porch Talk series.
Our 2022 Speaker Series will take place in the Town House Meeting Room.
Other special events locations are subject to change due to weather.
- Thu, Jun 23Sykesville Town HouseJun 23, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMSykesville Town House, 7547 Main St, Sykesville, MD 21784, USAThe Gate House Presents Dr. Zachary Singer as he shares a presentation suitable for all ages on found objects like rocks, fossils, and artifacts of all kinds. Come early to take a closer look at excavated items from Sykesville's History from the Gate House's collections.
- Thu, Oct 21SykesvilleOct 21, 2021, 4:30 PMSykesville, 7282 Cooper Dr, Sykesville, MD 21784, USAPop over to see how quill pens are made, and try your own hand at some basic calligraphy from different time periods!
- Wed, Oct 13SykesvilleOct 13, 2021, 4:30 PMSykesville, 7282 Cooper Dr, Sykesville, MD 21784, USAPop by the Gate House to try your hand at marbling paper! Play clothes are recommended, as the dyes do stain. A handout on this history of this art, and an inexpensive diy version of this craft will be available for pickup.
- Sun, Sep 19Gate House MuseumSep 19, 2021, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PMGate House Museum, Gate House Museum, Cooper Drive, Sykesville, MD, USAJoin the new Gate House curator, Adrienne Smith, as she discusses the beginnings of the Springfield Hospital Nursing School, and traces part of the story of Daisy Dorsey, a nurse who began her training there in 1903.
- Sun, Sep 12online eventSep 12, 2021, 9:00 AM – 10:00 AMonline event**Please note that this event has been changed to online at the request of the speaker** Before it became macadam and convenience stores, Eldersburg was the wilderness, and then farmland, and then something just a bit more. Bill Conaway was born there in 1940. He remembers it the way it was.
- Sun, Sep 05Gate House MuseumSep 05, 2021, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PMGate House Museum, Gate House Museum, Cooper Drive, Sykesville, MD, USAE. Francis Baldwin designed the 1884 Sykesville B&O Station and countless other stations and iconic buildings in the Baltimore–Washington metro area. Join Mandy Bernard of The Catholic University of America's library school, for the story of this great, nearly forgotten Baltimore architect.
- Sun, Aug 22Gate House MuseumAug 22, 2021, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDTGate House Museum, Gate House Museum, Cooper Drive, Sykesville, MD, USAOn April 15, 1865, John Wilkes Booth slipped into Abraham Lincoln's box during a play at Ford's theater, and fired a single bullet into the back of the President's head. He leapt onto the stage, shouting, “Sic semper tyrannis!” Bob Allen has spent much of his life studying the story. Come hear it.
- Sun, Aug 08Gate House MuseumAug 08, 2021, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PMGate House Museum, Gate House Museum, Cooper Drive, Sykesville, MD, USAIt resembles a pile of rocks now, somewhere between the crumbling Groveland Mansion, the railroad tracks, and the river. But once, Elba Furnace burned hot. Johnny Johnsson knows more about it than anyone. Come for the history, the technology, and the gossip from another era in Sykeville's history.
- Sun, Jul 25Gate House MuseumJul 25, 2021, 2:00 PMGate House Museum, Gate House Museum, Cooper Drive, Sykesville, MD, USAShe died in Springfield Hospital in 1951. Her son barely knew her, but one day in his seventies, Sid Starliper decided to find his mother. His search led him to Sykesville and the Gate House and Jack White and the discovery of a rare genetic disease that took both his mother and his sister.
- Sun, Jul 18Gate House MuseumJul 18, 2021, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PMGate House Museum, Gate House Museum, Cooper Drive, Sykesville, MD, USAThe grandson of a slave, Warren Dorsey is a scientist, educator, singer, story teller, and the oldest person alive who was born in Sykesville. Hear him talk and sing.
bottom of page