
7611 Main Street
7611 Main street is the large cinderblock building at the left of this photograph taken in 1975
7611 is not considered a contributing building within Sykesville's Historic District. For information, see: Sykesville Historic District
History
Originally part of the grounds of 7609 Main Street, In the 1940s, Frank Dorsey constructed this new building which was first occupied by the Wayne Feed and Fertilizer Company.
Richard Schatz moved his business to this location in 1978 after renovating the structure. He remained in business here through the 1990s.
Today it is the site of the Downtown Sykesville Connection offices, Moonshadow Collective, and Uncle Joe's Main Street Market and Deli.
Architectural Details
The original rear wall of this structure was badly damaged by a landslide which also destroyed the original roof. It was repaired by Harry Sandusky and the building was expanded to the edge of the hill before Schatz moved his buisness to this site in 1978.
Awaiting updates from the SHDC.

1975
In this photograph, 7611 is the large cinderblock building at the left of this photograph taken in 1975.

1983
This photograph shows the Schatz business at this location in 1983

1989
The festival in this photograph took place October 7, 1989 at the B&O Station Dedication.

1996
In this photograph, a partial wooden facing has been added to the cement structure t the location, still occupied by the Schatz family.

Placeholder
placeholder

Placeholder
placeholder
Site Use
Research is ongoing to confirm the historical use of this property. If you see any errors or have additional information, please contact the Museum through the methods at the bottom of the page
-SDAT and Deed records added May 2026--
Confirmed Use as of May 24, 2026:
Note: no earlier structures existed at this site at the time of the 1924 Sanborn Fire Map of Sykesville.
1946: After subdividing the original Stone Store Property (7609 Main Street) to form this address in 1945, Frank and Amanda Dorsey purchase the property from the Sykesville Fire Department and build a structure at this location with a cinderblock first floor and lumber on the second floor from his own sawmill. The first building at this location was the Wayne Feed and Fertilizer Company (Maryland Land Records Liber EAS 188, Folio 492)
1976: Property is sold by Frank and Amanda Dorsey to T. Schatz and Shirlee T. Shatz (Maryland Land Records Liber 631, Folio 9-12)
1978-2007: After renovating this building, Richard Schatz occupies the site as Schatz Lawn Mower Service. Business ownership changes to R.J. Schatz to R.T. Schatz before 1985. By 1988, Schatz Power Equipment Inc. is listed at the same address and continues for the duration of the Schatz ownership of this site. (Carroll County Times, 8 March 1978 p. 6; 19 April 1985 p. 13; 28 March 1999 p. 45; 2004 Centennial on the Tracks Walking Map)
2007: Richard T. Schatz sells the property to 7611 Main Street LLC (SDAT)
2013-2023: Sykesville Pottery and Art Center occupies this space
2023: Property is sold to Downtown Sykesville Connection
2025-present (2026): Downtown Sykesville Connection offices, Moonshadow Collective, and Uncle Joe's Main Street Market and Deli open in this space. Moonshadow Collective restructures in the summer of 2026 and plans to remove their physical business by mid-June 2026.