
7547 Main Street
Photograph from Gate House Archive, dated 1969..
History
Although originally a private home, today, 7547 Main Street is known as the "Town House" and currently serves as the seat of Sykesville's government offices.
Built c. 1893 by local architect, J.H. Fowble, until the 1920s, this home was the only structure on this side of Main Street. The John McDonald family, who owned numerous buildings and businesses in the area, purchased and heavily renovated the property in 1881. It is unclear which parts of the mansion (if any) are original to the earlier structure.
In 1968, The Town of Sykesville purchased the property from the family of Caroline Ridgely Jones and subsequently moved their offices there. From the 1970s until 1997, the Room of History--Sykesville's first public history museum, operated on the second floor. Later this museum became the Sykesville Gate House Museum, located today on Cooper Drive.
See the photos below to learn more!
Architectural Details
This building features a center front gable and full porch with a smaller center gable. Although for some of its history, this house had white aluminum siding, by 1999, this was restored to historical paint colors reflective of chemical paint testing.
Improvements (unspecified) completed by John McDonald to the house are listed in the Democratic Advocate Newspaper 17 January, 1885.
Awaiting updates from the SHDC.

1911 Sanborn Map
This selection from a 1911 fire map of Sykesville shows the footprint of this address as a home ("D") and one of the only structures on the East side of Main Street.

1924 Sanborn Map
This fire map of Sykesville shows the address still as a home, but with more sites joining it along the East side of Main Street

1910
This image is a blown up section of a photo from 1910 showing the McDonald House at the top of the hill overlooking the Town.

1969
This image shows the front view of the McDonald home near today's Sandusky parking lot.

1983
This image shows the staircase entrance to the Town House seen in 1983.

1986
This image of 1986 Sykesville shows updated light fixtures along the path to the Town House.
Site Use
Research is ongoing to confirm the historical use of this property. If you see any errors or have additional information, please contact the Museum through the methods at the bottom of the page
-Deed information added May 2026-
Confirmed Use as of May 22, 2026:
1873: Dr. Orreleanna Owings and his wife, Sarah M. deed the property of Dr. Allen C. Hammond of Charlestown, West Virginia. (Land Records of Carroll County, JBB Liber 42 , Folio 523-525)
1881: John McDonald purchases the property with a no longer standing structure from the estate of Kate H. Hammond (wife of deceased Dr. Allen C. Hammond) and children for $3,300, and moves in with his family (The Democratic Advocate, November 19, 1881; Land Records of Carroll County, Liber FTS 56 , Folio 186-187)
1893: the new 16-room mansion is built under the direction of local architect J.H. Fowble about 1893. Improvements (unspecified) completed by John McDonald to the house are listed in the Democratic Advocate Newspaper 17 January, 1885.
1919: Marie K. McDonald conveys property to William and N. Ethel Melville (Land Records of Carroll County, Liber ECC 134 , Folio 304-205)
1926: slightly more than four acres of property convey from the Melvilles to J. Edwin Hood and Maude Grant Hood for better use of the Hood building 7565 Main Street (Land Records of Carroll County, Liber EMM 148 , Folio 133)
1929: At this point, the first half of the property is sold back to the Melville family (Land Records of Carroll County, Liber EMM 152 , Folio 588). The rest was sold to James O Ridgely and Josephine Waterhouse Ridgely, who occupied the house Parts of the Northern end of the property along Main Street were also sold to Minnie Phillinger (Land Records of Carroll County, Liber EMM 153 , Folio 111)
1929: James O and Josephine W. Ridgely pass on the property in to Somerset O. Jones Jr. and Caroline Ridgely Jones.
1949: Part of the land of this property is sold to become the new Sykesville Volunteer Fire Company building at 7543 Main Street. (Land Records of Carroll County, Liber EAS201 , Folio 89)
1950: The Melville's part of the property is reunited under the ownership of the Ridgelys as it had been prior to Melville's subdivision for the Hood family. (Land Records of Carroll County, Liber EAS 208 , Folio 33)
1961: The Ridgely family sells the former Hood property to the Town of Sykesville (Land Records of Carroll County, Liber EAS201 , Folio 89)
1968-present (2025): the Town House building and its property is sold by the Ridgely family to the Town of Sykesville (Land Records of Carroll County, Liber 442 , Folio 432) and serves as government offices for the Town of Sykesville, conveyed August 27, 1968 to the Town under Mayor Horace C. Jefferson.